[BioPython] BLAST subprocess problem with a GUI

Stefanie Lück lueck at ipk-gatersleben.de
Mon Feb 2 07:37:35 UTC 2009

Hi Peter and the rest of the mailing list!

I'm using Biopython 1.49b and Python 2.5.

I tried your suggestion and changed \Blast\NCBIStandalone.py as you said:

        import subprocess, sys
        #We don't need to supply any piped input, but we setup the
        #pipe anyway as a work around for a python bug if this is
        #called from a Windows GUI program.  For details, see:
        #http://bugs.python.org/issue1124861
        blast_process = subprocess.Popen(cmd_string,
                                         stdin=subprocess.PIPE,
                                         stdout=subprocess.PIPE,
                                         stderr=subprocess.PIPE,
                                         shell=(sys.platform!="win32"))
        blast_process.stdin.close()
        return blast_process.stdout, blast_process.stderr

And after comipilation with py2exe it's seem to work! In addition I changed
\Application\__init__.py in function generic_run
\ClustalW\__init__.py in function do_alignment

in the same way because I got the same error message when I used Primer3 and
ClustalW.
I tried up to now only on view Windows XP PC's but it's looks like the
problem is solved!

Finally I can release the tool for testing! Thanks to all for their help!

Thanks a lot Peter and sorry for the late reply!

Kind regards
Stefanie