[Biopython] Why so few recipes in the cookbook?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Dec 18 12:57:30 UTC 2009

2009/12/18 Daniel Silvestre <daniel at dim.fm.usp.br>:
> Greetings again,
>
> There are some blogs like Programming for Scientists and Yokofakun with
> some usable code and tips.
>
> I do want to contribute, but there are no clear objectives stated to the
> cookbook writing process. What's the gist? Just some code snippets?
> Complete examples?

I would personally prefer concrete examples. The name "cookbook"
suggests a collection of complete recipes (rather than snippets).

> My teaching experience says that complete (and real) examples are the
> most wanted. For instance, even in the bioperl community only code
> snippets are available. So, the first question students ask me after a
> brief looking at the tutorials is smth like "Well, how do I use this in
> a directory tree?".
>
> What about a bioinformatics recipes in (bio)python?

Yes please :)

Are there any examples in the main "Biopython Tutorial and
Cookbook" which would in your opinion be better in the wiki?

> Att,
> Daniel
>
> P.S.:Is there a problem with my vcard? I can use a different sig.

Could you try no vcard attachment at all?