[Biopython] suggestion: moving to the discussion list to Google groups

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Dec 16 18:55:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Istvan Albert <iua1 at psu.edu> wrote:
> A response mentioned that Gmail's email threading works just as well
> ...  well it doesn't help anyone who has not already been subscribed
> to the messages to begin with.  If you come to a discussion later you
> cannot get that.

True - but that becomes less and less of an issue once you
have signed up.

> ... Get someone who is 20 and has never heard of sending
> emails to an address then see what they say about it...

Do 20 year olds really not know how to use email these days?
I do talk to graduate students, and hadn't noticed a trend.
I must be getting old(er). Maybe we need a "Dummies
Guide to setting up a GoogleMail/Thunderbird/Outlook
filter"? e.g. I have one to move things from the inbox to a
"Biopython" folder automatically.

I do take you point that making the mailing list more
accessible to novices (especially university students) is a
good idea - and you may be right that *mirroring* it on
GoogleGroups could be a solution. I don't know enough
about how that works to have an informed viewpoint, but
I trust Hilmar to look into it.