[Biopython] Parsing problem

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Dec 9 13:25:44 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Iwan Grin <iwan.grin at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter, Thank you for your reply.
>
> I am new to BioPython and stumbled upon GFF.easy while searching through the
> API docs. Actually, What I wanted was a way to parse that location string
> into an SeqFeature-like thing from which I could get start, end and
> strand.Unfortunately I could not find the correct parser in Bio.Genbank -
> any suggestions are welcome.

Right now Bio.GenBank doesn't really expose the location parsing in an
easy to use way like Bio.GFF.easy does.

> I agree with you that Bio.GFF.easy expects the Accession number before the
> complement. (Actually for my purpose I do not need the accession number at
> all.)

The pragmatic solution is to write your own quick parser to pull out the
coordinates (if that is all you need).

We'll have to look at this as part of the discussion of what to do with the
old Bio.GFF (as part of planning for Brad's new GFF parsing code).