[Biopython] can't compile version from github

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Dec 3 10:19:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 5:20 AM, Michael Thon <mike.thon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Don't know if this belongs on the dev mailing list or here...

Tricky - I might have picked the dev list, but this is fine.

> I just checked out a copy of biopython from the github repo and I
> tried to install it in an non-root directory to try out a new feature.
>
> here is the command I ran on the command line:
> python setup.py install --prefix=/Users/mike/biopython_dev
>
> Here is the offending part of the compile:
>
> gcc-4.2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -Os -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -DENABLE_DTRACE -arch i386 -arch ppc -arch x86_64 -pipe -IBio -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/include/python2.6 -c Bio/triemodule.c -o build/temp.macosx-10.6-universal-2.6/Bio/triemodule.o
> In file included from Bio/triemodule.c:3:
> Bio/trie.h:12: warning: function declaration isn’t a prototype
>
> The installer did not find the numpy that I installed using easy_install
> so I continued without it and without Reportlab.  (Mac OS 10.6)
>
> Mike

Ah - Snow Leopard. Are you using the Apple provided Python with Mac OS 10.6?
Apple have as usual done odd things with Python, but people have
reported getting
it to work.

Looking at the compiler flags I am puzzled about the inclusion of
"-arch ppc" since
Snow Leopard is x86 only. Could you give us the whole of the compile log? What
you have shown just has a warning - no actual error. Also, doing it in
stages would
be wiser:

#First remove old build files:
python setup clean

#Do the compile:
python setup build

#Run the unit tests:
python setup test

#To install under your home directory I'd use:
python steup install --prefix=/Users/mike/