[BioPython] blastall produces a black console screen with biopython 1.49 and up‏

Joaquin Abian Monux gatoygata at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 17 11:25:48 UTC 2009

Dear all,

 I coded a GUI utility to perform local blast searches
on lists of peptides using NCBIStandalone.blastall().

I work on windows XP with python 2.5

After I updated from biopython1.48 to 1.49,  when I
make a search, NCBIStandalone.blastall()  produces
a black screen (a windows system console produced by the execution of ..\bin\blastall.exe) that pops up and rapidly disappears
as blastall.exe is executed.  Nothing
more has been changed in the application and the screen does not appears if I
downgrade to 1.48.

This black window is very annoying (it appears in
front of all other open windows) and in fact it is preventing me from upgrading
my biopython installation.

This problem occurs both with biopyton 1.49 an 1.50. With biopython 1.48
and below NCBIStandalone.blastall works silently.

I have seen looking at the code that 1.49 uses preferently subprocess.popen() (in function _invoke_blast) to execute blast while in 1.48 it was os.popen3() (in function blastall). I have been playing with this but I got nothing clear

Is this something already known? I could not found any hint by googling. Is there some way to get rid of this screen?.

Thanks

Joaquin