[BioPython] Is query_length really the length of query?

Yvan.Strahm at bccs.uib.no Yvan.Strahm at bccs.uib.no
Wed Apr 1 10:34:56 UTC 2009

Hello List

I try to get the length of the query from the blast result itself

like that:
result_handle, error_handle = NCBIStandalone.blastall(my_blast_exe, "blastn",
                                                       my_blast_db,
my_blast_file)

from Bio.Blast import NCBIXML
blast_records = NCBIXML.parse(result_handle)
for blast_record in blast_records

but
blast_record.query_length return None
and
blast_record.query_letters return the actual size

Should I test the length of the query before the blast result? O did I
miss-interpreted the meaning of query_length and query_letters?

Thanks for your time

Is query_length really the length of query?