[BioPython] Dropping Python 2.3 support?

Peter peter at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Oct 28 11:36:15 UTC 2008

Dear all,

Those of you following the dev-mailing list will probably be aware
that we've been making excellent progress in CVS to get Biopython to
run fine on Python 2.6.  However, the downside is that continuing to
support Python 2.3 is beginning to be pain (triggered for the most
part by some older modules being deprecated in python 2.6).

Does anyone on the mailing list still use Python 2.3?  e.g. older
Linux servers, or people still using Apple Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (or
older).

What I'd like to suggest is that the next one or two releases will
still support Python 2.3, but after that we'll drop support for Python
2.3.

Thanks,

Peter

P.S. For the record, until recently my main Windows machine ran Python
2.3 only - giving me a vested interesting in continuing Python 2.3
support ;)