[BioPython] Cladograms

David Winter winda002 at student.otago.ac.nz
Thu Nov 27 21:52:08 UTC 2008

Renato Alves wrote:
> Quoting Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio on 11/27/2008 04:45 PM:
>> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Renato Alves
>> <rjalves at igc.gulbenkian.pt> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I've been searching the web for python modules to do cladograms but
>>> the only
>>> relevant stuff I found was relative to dendograms and hierarchical
>>> clustering which will give the representation I need.
>>> My goal is something that resembles a heatmap[1]
>>>
>> Let me premise that I am not able to help you :).
>> But this seems to be the kind of things that R does. Have you had a
>> look at it?
>>
> For the heatmap I did have a look and seems easy to use, for the
> cladograms I couldn't find much using the name with help.search().
[snip]

Hi renato,

Have you looked into the R package  ape (analysis of phylogentics and
evolution, install.packages("ape")) - it has object classes for phylip
and nexus trees. I don't know how easy it is to kludge things together
from different packages but it might be worth looking into? There is a
python module to integrate with R if you want to stay pure ;)

--
PhD Student
Allan Wilson Centre

ph: +64-3-4778459