[BioPython] biopython integration with make-like tools (e.g. waf, paver)

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio dalloliogm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 18:19:04 UTC 2008

> That sounds potentially useful for a complicated analysis pipeline.
> But suppose you also wanted to check the current version of BLAST
> installed and the version of BLAST used in the existing output file?
> This would probably be possible within a Makefile using some embedded
> shell scripts calling grep, but it wouldn't be very nice at all.
> Although it would still be a non-trivial bit of code, I would prefer
> to do this in python (maybe put the code into a library function for
> reuse).

well, in principle you would check for blast's executable last
modification date.
If the blast executable has a modification date which is younger than
the results file, you will have to calculate them again.
Other build tools can also check for md5 modification to prerequisite
files, or can be integrated with subversion/other rcs systems.
You can do this in python, but it takes a lot of time, and would mean
re-writing existing code. I am sure there is should be something
specific for bioinformaticians already :).

Well, I'll write some workflows with the tools I linked before (and
also with scons) and let you know.