[BioPython] Using BioPython Entrez from behind proxy-based firewall

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Nov 17 12:32:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 12:22 PM, bar tomas <bartomas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using BioPython to access NCBI Entrez databases.
> I'm doing this from behind a proxy-based firewall.
> Do you know how I can pass on my firewall parameters so that BioPython
> handles them?
>
> Thanks a lot

Hi,

Bio.Entrez is just using the python urllib to connect to the NCBI
Entrez servers, and that should support a password-less proxy.  Right
now the Biopython code which uses the urllib.urlopen function doesn't
directly let you specify the proxy.  However, consulting the python
documentation you should still be able to do this by setting an
environment variable:
http://www.python.org/doc/2.5.2/lib/module-urllib.html

Does that work?