[BioPython] GenBank.NCBIDictionary 'Operation timed out'

David Moreira david.moreira at u-psud.fr
Wed May 14 09:26:13 UTC 2008

Dear all,

I have a problem when using the GenBank.NCBIDictionary to retrieve
sequences from GenBank. Quite often my script finishes with an error due
to a too long connexion time:

urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error <10060, 'Operation timed out'>>

The code I am using is very simple, I have tried to avoid the problem by
waiting 10 seconds before retrying, but it does not work:

def retrieve_taxonomy_seq(acc_number):
    # retrieve the sequence from GenBank
    try:
        ncbi_dict = GenBank.NCBIDictionary(database="nucleotide",
format="genbank")
    # exception in case of network problems
    except IOError:
        print "Network down, waiting 10 seconds before continuing"
        time.sleep(10)
        retrieve_taxonomy(acc_number)

I have to use this function about ~100 times. I know that the best would
be to have a local data base to avoid Internet connexion problems, but
by some practical reasons I prefer to go directly to GenBank for my search.

Do you have any suggestion to avoid this problem?

Best,

David

--
David MOREIRA
Unité d'Ecologie, Systématique et Evolution - UMR CNRS 8079