[BioPython] [BioSQL-l] Concerns the update of BioSQL.taxon table

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Wed Mar 26 13:29:01 UTC 2008

On Mar 26, 2008, at 7:29 AM, Eric Gibert wrote:
> Either this *unique* index is new and it is a BioSQL "issue" (as
> said, this index did not exist in my previous BioSQL db so I never
> encountered this issue before)

The unique index has been there since Feb 2003 (the Singapore
Biohackathon). I'm not sure how you got a version that doesn't have it.

The unique key constraint on the identifier column is also necessary
- otherwise you cannot guarantee lookups by the NCBI taxonID to
return either one or zero rows. Like Peter and Richard, I also don't
understand what the point would be in allowing the same taxon (which
in essence is a node), as identified by taxonID, to exist more than
once.

	-hilmar