[BioPython] import error

James Swetnam jswetnam at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 22:42:47 UTC 2008

Hello.  First of all, thank you to the developers for the great
resource.  It's only with a sense of regret that I post my first
message to this list as a complaint!

I'm doing some rather complicated (to me, at least) database
manipulation with the help of the excellent ORM provided by the
biopython project.  I think this is unimportant, but I can provide the
full source code if asked.  The problem I have is with the following
line I have included in one of my source files, copied from one of
the  biopython tutorials:

ncbi_dict = GenBank.NCBIDictionary("nucleotide", "genbank")

This line, both in isolation and in the context of my script, produces
the rather terse import error:

cardozo13:Bio james$ python
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Jan 10 2008, 15:27:44)
 >>> from Bio import GenBank
 >>> ncbi_dict = GenBank.NCBIDictionary("nucleotide","genbank")
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
   File "/sw/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Bio/GenBank/__init__.py",
line 1283, in __init__
     from Bio import db
ImportError: cannot import name db

The import error is actually occuring inside one of the stock files
provided by the biopython distribution I am using (installed via
fink).  Can anyone help me to resolve this?

James Swetnam
Research Technician
NYU School of Medicine
Pharmacology