[BioPython] Fwd: NCBI Abuse Activity with BioPython

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 27 17:32:31 UTC 2008

No, not just threading.  The requests could be made by a simple script/
program of any kind with no timeout implemented; the IPs of those
abusing the timeout will likely be blocked.

The idea is not to spam their server (let alone any server which
provides a free service) with tons of requests of any kind, be it
eutils or BLAST submission requests, BLAST report retrieval requests
using RID, etc.  Any tools using these services should implement the
minimum recommended delay between them.  Alternatively, set up a local
BLAST service as Peter recommends.

chris