[BioPython] Fwd: NCBI Abuse Activity with BioPython

Frederico Arnoldi fredgca at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 27 13:19:04 UTC 2008

Guys (sorry the informality),

I have followed the discussion about "NCBI Abuse Activity with BioPython". I have to confess that followed it superficially, since I am not able to understand everything you said. So, I am going to make some questions about it:

1)I believe that using BLAST with NCBIWWW.qblast is included in "Abuse Activity". Right? I am asking because sometimes I use it. The recommendation of NCBI is "Make no more than one request every 3 seconds.". Biopython code does not assure it with the following  code in NCBIWWW.py, line 779:
[code]
limiter = RequestLimiter(3)
while 1:
    limiter.wait()
[/code]

2)Do you have any recommendation for using it that it is not included in the tutorial? Maybe listing some recommendations here would help.

Sorry if I have asked an obviousness.

Thanks,
Fred