[BioPython] Dependency help: libssl.so.0.9.7

Uri Laserson laserson at mit.edu
Tue Jun 17 18:44:08 UTC 2008

Hi,

I am trying to use some biopython packages, and it turns out there is an
error when I try to import _hashlib:

>>> import _hashlib
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: libssl.so.0.9.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

I am working on unix system that is administered by a university, but I have
installed my own local version of python along with biopython and all
necessary packages for that.

There exists a libssl.so.0.9.8 and libssl.so (a symbolic link to the former)
in /usr/lib

ldd _hashlib.so in my own /python/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload gives me:
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
        libssl.so.0.9.7 => not found
        libcrypto.so.0.9.7 => not found
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib32/libpthread.so.0 (0xf7f67000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf7e3c000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x56555000)

What is the easiest way to solve this?  How do I get my local (home
directory) installation of python to find the libssl.so library in /usr/lib?

Thanks!

Uri

--
Uri Laserson