[BioPython] splice variants in GenBank/Entrez

C. G. cg5x6 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 05:21:50 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I've been using BioPython for a few projects the last
two months to process BLAST results but now I need to
take those results and determine which of them have
known splice variants. By "known" I mean those that
have annotations contained in a database that indicate
they have (or are) splice variants.

My thought was that Entrez would have this information
(which I would then retrieve and parse with BioPython)
but I can't find a consistent means of determining if
an entry has splice variants. I was hoping that maybe
someone on this list had some experience trying to
find this information. Perhaps there is a sequence
feature or a common user-defined field I could access?

I'm also sending an email to NCBI requesting
information but I thought I would cover my bases.
Thanks in advance for any information or help you can
provide.

-steve