[BioPython] Trying to transcribe RNA = error?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 16 11:08:44 UTC 2008

I wrote:
>> You could do my_seq.reverse_complement().transcribe() if you did want
>> the other strand transcribed.

Actually right now the Seq object doesn't have a transcribe method
(but I think maybe it should, see Bug 2381).  In the meantime, you
would have to use either of these:

from Bio.Seq import transcribe, reverse_complement
print transcribe(reverse_complement(my_seq))
print transcribe(my_seq.reverse_complement())

Martin wrote:
> Exactly, to get rid of this I would see some advantage to have
> transcribe() which is more intuitive but only if it would be able to cope
> with reverse strand as well.

You would really prefer a single function call to do a combined
"transcribe reverse-complement" or "transcribe the other strand" over
doing the reverse complement and transcription in two steps?

e.g.
print transcribe(my_seq, use_reverse_complement=True)

or,
print transcribe(my_seq, strand=-1)

or, maybe:
print transcribe_rc(my_seq)