[BioPython] Bio.EUtils

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 00:43:22 UTC 2008

Rohini Damle <rohini.damle at gmail.com> wrote: The following does almost the same with Bio.WWW.NCBI instead of Bio.EUtils:
My last question is: Is this sufficient for your needs? Or do you see some advantage to using Bio.EUtils over Bio.WWW.NCBI?  I guess Bio.EUtils is faster, can be used for batch-processing (like fetching records for a list of pubmed ids) . I have not tried Bio.WWW.NCBI , will try it and get back to you.

If you make the following modification in Bio.WWW.NCBI.py:
line 189: replace
    options = urllib.urlencode(params)
by
    options = urllib.urlencode(params, doseq=1)
then Bio.WWW.NCBI can also fetch records for a list of pubmed ids. I'm guessing that then it is as fast as (or faster than) Bio.EUtils, but I'd be interested in what you find in practice.

Thanks,

--Michiel