[BioPython] psyco reference in bioinformatics article

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Thu Feb 7 16:09:25 UTC 2008

Does anyone know of a bioinformatics reference that mentions using
psyco for improving performance of a Python program, and which
mentions numbers?

I know of one for medical informatics that mentions numbers
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6947/2/9/
Preparation of name and address data for record linkage using hidden
Markov models
Tim Churches, Peter Christen, Kim Lim, and Justin Xi Zhu
BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 2002, 2:9doi:
10.1186/1472-6947-2-9

> one million address records on the PC platform took 14,061 seconds
> (234 minutes), or 5832 seconds (97 minutes) with the Psyco just-in-
> time Python compiler enabled

and an Entrez search finds one for bioinformatics which doesn't
mention numbers

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?
tool=pmcentrez&artid=1635261
Nucleic Acids Res. 2006 November; 34(20): 5730–5739.  doi: 10.1093/
nar/gkl585.

A graph-based motif detection algorithm models complex nucleotide
dependencies in transcription factor binding sites
Brian T. Naughton, Eugene Fratkin, Serafim Batzoglou, and Douglas L.
Brutlag

>  MotifScan will use psyco (http://psyco.sourceforge.net) for a
> performance
>  gain, if it is installed.