[BioPython] bioPython and STRUCTURE

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio dalloliogm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 17:31:28 UTC 2008

On 12/12/08, Jason Eshleman <jae at lmi.net> wrote:
> Greetings.  I'm curious if anyone has worked with code to operate the
> multi-locus pop gen. program "STRUCTURE"
> (http://pritch.bsd.uchicago.edu/software.html).   I've got
> some code myself that I'd be happy to share/contribute if there's interest.

You could have a look at this code:
- http://github.com/dalloliogm/biopython---popgen/tree/master/src/PopGen
which is a merge between Tiago's code and mine to implement population
genetics things in python/biopython.

Actually I wonder whether it would be easier to use tools like waf or
scons to handle external tools, but anyway it is good to have handlers
like that in biopython.

> I haven't been able to find any such discussions in the archives, but it
> could be my searching skills.

mmmm have you tried something like "biopython structure -3d -pdb genetics"?

> The term 'structure' returns a large number
> of completely irrelevant hits.  It does seem like bioPython is light in the
> pop. gen dept at this point.

At the moment yes, it is.

My blog on bioinformatics (now in English): http://bioinfoblog.it