[BioPython] NumPy

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 31 08:39:08 UTC 2008

--- On Sat, 8/30/08, Ted Larson Freeman <freeman at stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
> As a newcomer, I would be in favor of updating to numpy,
> because it would make biopython appear (to other
> newcomers) to be a current, active project.
>
> How much development work would be necessary to switch?

It's not so bad. The biggest one is Bio.Cluster. This module is also available separate from Biopython as Pycluster. Its latest version already uses NumPy. Most of the other modules use Numerical Python at the Python level, which is much easier to fix.

I am more worried about the portability of NumPy. A while back there were some installation problems with Numerical Python on some platforms. This caused a lot of user questions, since they weren't able to install it. Hence my comment about NumPy sometimes failing to build on Cygwin.

--Michiel.