[BioPython] Python 3

Iddo Friedberg idoerg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 17:29:53 UTC 2008

Python 3.x is almost a new language. Thus I expect that if there will be a
Biopython 3.x, it will be developed from the ground up, by enterprising
souls woho would like to see that happen. But Python 2.x will still be
around for a while.

The powers-that-be in Python are trying to make the whole process of 3.0
porting as gentle as possible. Thus Python 2.x is not going away anytime
soon and 2.x versions will be around for a while. Also, 2.6 will be in a
sense forward compatible.

>From the horse's mouth:
"

Python 2.6 will support forward compatibility in the following two ways:

   - It will support a "Py3k warnings mode" which will warn dynamically
   (i.e. at runtime) about features that will stop working in Python 3.0, e.g.
   assuming that range() returns a list.
   - It will contain backported versions of many Py3k features, either
   enabled through __future__ statements or simply by allowing old and new
   syntax to be used side-by-side (if the new syntax would be a syntax error in
   2.x).

"