[BioPython] Bio.Cluster clarification

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 13:42:00 UTC 2007

Jimmy Musselwhite wrote:
> Hello all
 > In the documentation it says the "data" argument is "an array
 > containing the gene expression data". What exactly does that mean?

I suspect that means an array object from the Numeric library. i.e. a
two dimensional dataset of floats. In the context of gene expression,
the rows are usually different genes and the columns different samples
(typically covering two or more experimental conditions), and the data
points are simply floating point numbers (gene expression levels).

> Ideally all I want to do is send it an array of lists, each
> containing 3 floats, aka an array of vectors in 3d space, and have it
> cluster those. Is that doable?

When you say you have an array of three-vectors, do you mean you have a
three dimensional dataset? e.g. a vector field

> This may seem like a beginner question but I'm not sure of this
> documentation (cluster.pdf).

Hopefully Michiel will reply shortly - as the author of Bio.Cluster, he
should be able to give you a more precise answer.  See also his webpage:
http://bonsai.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~mdehoon/software/cluster/