[BioPython] Syntax error while parsing Blast output

Michiel De Hoon mdehoon at c2b2.columbia.edu
Thu Oct 25 00:40:18 UTC 2007

>> Nevertheless, it may be a good idea to remove the plain text Blast
>> parser
>> completely from Biopython in the upcoming release (which will
>> probably be
>> done this week), to avoid further confusion.
>
> Removing it sounds too drastic - especially as we have had people on
> the mailing list using it  deliberately fairly recently.  If you
> really do want
> to remove this code, then adding a deprecation warning to the plain
> text
> parser for the next release would be a more gentle route.

Sorry, I was confused; I was under the impression that the plain text Blast
parser was already deprecated (I was getting confused with the blast and
blasturl functions in Bio.Blast.NCBIWWW, which are already deprecated in
favor of qblast). OK, then let's keep the plain-text Blast parser as is, and
maybe think again about this issue after the upcoming release.

--Michiel.

Michiel de Hoon
Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
Columbia University
1150 St Nicholas Avenue
New York, NY 10032