[BioPython] Error for installation of MySALdb on Mac OS X

Steve Lianoglou lists.steve at arachnedesign.net
Mon Oct 15 16:30:21 UTC 2007

Hi,

> Thank you for your email. I was away for a week.
> What do you mean "fresh" python prompt?
> I installed MySQL by using MYSQL-5.0.45-osx10.4-i686.dmg downloaded
> online.
> I guess you want me to reinstall MySQL_python_1.2.2, not MySQLdb,
> am I right?

I'm not sure, exactly.

Last time I checked, the only thing you needed to use mysql from
python was:

(a) A working mysql install (the client/server)
(b) The mysqldb package from: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-
python

I'm assuming (a) is installed correctly since you are using the .mpkg
from mysql.org, so I'd just try to fix (b).

You try do so by doing the following:

(1) Remove your original attempt at installing the python mysqldb
library. From the looks of your error messages, it seems to be
installed here:

Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-
packages/MySQL_python-1.2.2-py2.5-macosx-10.3-fat.egg/

(2) remove the build directory in your mysqldb directory (the one you
are installing from) by cd-ing into your mysqldb download, and
removing the build directory you find there.

(3) reinstall mysqldb by doing the usual `pythong setup.py build` and
`sudo python setup.py install` dance

For the record, I'm not sure what you are talking about when you are
distinguishing between "MySQL_python_1.2.2, not MySQLdb"

are you trying to install two python libraries to access mysql?

-steve