[BioPython] Performing sequence alignments, etc.

Caitlin The_Polymorph at rocketmail.com
Sun Oct 14 17:04:48 UTC 2007

Hi all.

I'm relatively new to the field of bioinformatics and I'm trying to
perform a multiple sequence alignment on 5-6 sequences (fasta format -
dna sequences). I'd like the output to be formatted in the following
manner (clustalw standalone output):

accession_number1: atctcgatatcgggcgctcta...
accession_number2: atctctattctctggatctct...

When one more more nucleotides columns are identical, clustalw displays
an asterisk. If not, a blank space is displayed. Is this a standard
feature of BioPython?

Also, I'm evaluating several sequences but I'd like to obtain the most
recent complete genomes possible from various countries. Is there a
convenient source to use (GenBank?) if I don't know the accession
numbers?

Thanks,

~Caitlin

Thanks,