[BioPython] Error generated by Clustalw example in Tutorial

Y Tu ytu888 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 5 16:32:05 UTC 2007

I tested both commands under window prompt, initially both generated error because window don't know clustalw. Once I give the correct path of the clustalw, both generated alignment results without any error. BTW, I used the one inside BioEdit, I did not find clustalw coming with Biopython. It looks like python use online program at ftp://ftp-igbmc.u-strasbg.fr/pub/ClustalW/. Am I right?

Then I replace the old _ini_with the new one, but there is a new error message similar to the old one:

>>> alignment = Clustalw.do_alignment(cline)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\Bio\Clustalw\__init__.py", line 117, in do_alignment
    # check if the outfile exists before parsing
IOError: Output .aln file result1.aln not produced, commandline: clustalw opuntia.fasta -OUTFILE=result1.aln

Also I tested the example on OS X, the same error was generated:

>>> alignment = Clustalw.do_alignment(cline)
sh: line 1: clustalw: command not found
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Bio/Clustalw/__init__.py", line 117, in do_alignment
    % (out_file, command_line))
IOError: Output .aln file result1.aln not produced, commandline: clustalw ./opuntia.fasta -OUTFILE=result1.aln

It seems like the problem is not linked to OS. What other things could be wrong? Thanks.