[BioPython] NCBIXML - Blast in- and output

Björn Thorwirth bjoern.thorwirth at uni-due.de
Tue Nov 27 13:51:22 UTC 2007

Hi Michiel!

Thanks for your fast respose! I've used the NCBIXML together with a
Twisted server. That's why the backtrace is a bit bloatet.
But I guess this are the important lines:

File "/home/user/workspace/PLGDaemon/src/mmCIF/blast_util.py", line
56,
in getResults
    for record in records:
  File
"/home/user/Desktop/biopython/biopython-1.43/build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.4/Bio/Blast/NCBIXML.py",
line 625, in parse
    assert len(blast_parser._records) == 0
exceptions.UnboundLocalError: local variable 'blast_parser' referenced
before assignment.

Now i was able to backtrace, where the Problem comes from. It may not be
related to 32/64 Bit. It happens when Blast's calculation
of the "Karlin-Altschul parameters" fails. This may happen due low
complexity of the Query sequence (see Blast FAQ).
I've attached a tar with the Blast-output and the reference and input
files. I didn't stumble over this problem before on 32 Bit,
because that was a smaller Sequenze-DB for testing purposes

Björn