[BioPython] windows : reading local blast output

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Nov 19 23:26:08 UTC 2007

Srinivas Iyyer wrote:
> Dear group,
>
> I am using Python (2.4) and biopython(1.44) in windows. I installed a
> local blast version for windows.

Did you install Biopython 1.44 using the Windows installer?
What version of stand alone blast are you using?

> The following code breaks down and throws the error pasted below for
> convenience: This part of the code works when used on Linux based
> blast output.  Obviously I suspect the '\r\n' for windows.

Could you file a bug [with the full version information], and then
upload the problem output file C:\human\prb_blast.out please?  Then we
can try and reproduce the problem.

http://bugzilla.open-bio.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Biopython

As to the new lines, if that is the problem, I would have expected
opening the handle in universal mode should have fixed it.  Have you
tried experimenting with dos2unix and unix2dos on the file?

Also - could you try XML output rather than plain text?  See the
tutorial for examples.

http://biopython.org/DIST/docs/tutorial/Tutorial.html