[BioPython] small "bug" correction in package BioSql

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Thu Nov 8 15:53:03 UTC 2007

Indeed Biojava uses uppercase for alphabet. In Bioperl-db, we
explicitly lowercase the value found for alphabet, and the comment
says why:

         # Note: Biojava uses upper-case terms for alphabet, so we
         # need to change to all-lower in case the sequence was
         # manipulated by Biojava.
         $obj->alphabet(lc($rows->[3])) if $rows->[3];

However, when inserting sequences, we leave the value as is in
BioPerl (which is lowercase), leading to a potential problem for
Biojava upon retrieval. Do the Biojava folks deal with that? Should
this may harmonized across the board?

	-hilmar