[BioPython] advice on structuring packages

Julius Lucks lucks at fas.harvard.edu
Sun May 6 15:19:19 UTC 2007

Hi Ann,

If you are going to do a major restructuring, I HIGHLY recommend you
switch from CVS to Subversion as well.  Subversion works a lot like
CVS but has many more nice features and is just structured better -
it allows you to version binary files as well as text files, it has a
better back end allowing the repository to be more space-efficient
and speedy, and many more nice things.

To that end, there is an EXCELLENT book called 'Pragmatic Version
Control Using Subversion'

http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/svn/index.html

I highly recommend this book - I went through the whole thing and it
really taught be a lot about the best way to use subversion, as well
as a whole chapter on how to structure the repository, manage tags
and branches, etc.

If you want to stick with CVS, Pragmatic Bookshelf also has the same
book, but with CVS

http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/starter_kit/vcc/index.html

Hope this helps,

Julius