[BioPython] Biopython to migrate to Subversion

Chris Lasher chris.lasher at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 17:19:12 UTC 2007

I have a correction to make. Again, this only affects those of you
whom obtain your Biopython code via CVS.

On 3/24/07, Chris Lasher <chris.lasher at gmail.com> wrote:
> Subversion operates through HTTP/HTTPS (ports 80 and 443,
> respectively), and specifically uses WebDAV, an extended HTTP
> protocol. Though highly unusual, some organizations networks' may
> block WebDAV traffic. One way to check whether your organization does
> this is to attempt to checkout an existing Subversion repository from,
> for instance, a Google Code Project (all of which use Subversion
> repositories). For example, you can attempt to check out Kongulo
> <http://code.google.com/p/google-kongulo/source>. If you can checkout
> an existing repository, you will be ready to migrate to Biopython's
> Subversion repository once in place.

The Subversion server runs through SSH, *not* through WebDAV, and so
is accessed in the same way that the CVS repository is now. If you can
access the CVS repository now, you can access Subversion repository
once we implement it. Therefore, the only case of need for legacy
support for Subversion is if you cannot get Subversion installed. If
this is the case, please notify me as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Chris