[BioPython] How to read SOFT files from GEO?

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Fri Mar 23 01:44:42 UTC 2007

Maurice Ling wrote:
> Sean Davis wrote:
>
>> Maurice Ling wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Are there any examples to read SOFT file from GEO? I've looked in
>>> the cookbook and there isn't any mention about GEO.
>>>

>> I don't know of biopython code to do this, but there is a package for
>> the R statistical language that will do this.  The nice thing about
>> doing this from R is that there are hundreds of tools that can then
>> be applied to whatever data you like.  The package is part of
>> Bioconductor (http://www.bioconductor.org) and is called GEOquery.
>> And of course, you can use R from python using Rpy.
>>
>> Sean
>>
>> P.S.  Legal disclaimer--I am the author of said package, so take my
>> words with the appropriate grain of salt.
>>
> In biopython's CVS, there is a subdirectory called Geo. So I thought
> that might be for SOFT files...

I haven't tried it lately, but last I looked, it was not in-sync with
GEO (which does infrequently change tags/formats).  Also, I think it
handles GDS only (if I remember correctly).  Only a subset of GEO is
available as GDS, since they require hand-curation by GEO staff.

http://portal.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2006-May/002352.html

> P.S. So I know who to ask when I have questions about GEOquery.

Comments and questions are welcome and appreciated.

Sean