[BioPython] How to read SOFT files from GEO?

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Fri Mar 23 00:53:01 UTC 2007

Maurice Ling wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any examples to read SOFT file from GEO? I've looked in the
> cookbook and there isn't any mention about GEO.

I don't know of biopython code to do this, but there is a package for
the R statistical language that will do this.  The nice thing about
doing this from R is that there are hundreds of tools that can then be
applied to whatever data you like.  The package is part of Bioconductor
(http://www.bioconductor.org) and is called GEOquery.  And of course,
you can use R from python using Rpy.

Sean

P.S.  Legal disclaimer--I am the author of said package, so take my
words with the appropriate grain of salt.