[BioPython] Transcription

Ann Loraine aloraine at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 04:14:50 UTC 2007

Hello,

I guess the "translate" functions are more useful. I've used biopython
tools many times to translate nucleotide sequences into proteins,
using different genetic codes. It is a very useful feature, often the
first step in series of computations.

Maybe the audience was responding to how we programmers like to
represent biological sequences as character strings? DNA, the
molecule, is double-stranded, so it might be more proper to model it
as a pair of strings. But this would be wasteful of space, since one
string is all you need to capture the sequence of both strands.

They are right that the antisense strand is used as the template for
RNA synthesis (transcription), but I'm not sure if it is proper to say
that one strand or the other is being transcribed. Maybe in future you
could say something like: biopython sequence objects have a string
that represents a sequence of nucleotides, and when you call a
transcribe method, the method assumes that this string also represents
the sense strand of a double-stranded DNA molecule.

Best wishes,

Ann