[BioPython] Martel Parser error...

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 19:27:15 UTC 2007

Michael Mayhew wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>   I am using BioPython-1.42 (also tried 1.43) on Mac OS X (10.4.8) and
> have successfully compiled/installed the prerequisite packages (Numeric
> and mxTextTools).
>
>   I have been receiving a Martel Parser error as detailed in the
> following readout (from a python interactive session), when I try to use
> either Fasta.RecordParser() or Fasta.SequenceParser() instances:
>
>       >>tester = iter.next()
>        Traceback (most recent call last):

Could you give a complete stand alone example? I'm not sure what you are
trying to do here...

Have you looked at Bio.SeqIO (available in Biopython 1.43) instead of
Bio.Fasta?

http://biopython.org/wiki/SeqIO

>   I confirmed this when I ran the included test suites (with python
> setup.py test).

Could you show us the failed test result?

>   I have seen some suggestions to get the most recent CVS version of
> biopython to rectify this problem. How would I go about this?
>
>   Is getting the most recent CVS version of biopython the only/best
> thing to do?

I'm not sure what's wrong here - so its hard to say if CVS would be any
better. I've not used Biopython on Mac OS X, but it should work.