[BioPython] what to use for working with fasta sequences and alignments?

Jan Kosinski kosa at genesilico.pl
Wed Jan 10 15:06:27 UTC 2007

Hi,

I am quite new in BioPython and I am a little bit confused when trying
to use BioPython for working with fasta sequences and alignments.

For instance, I can read and parse fasta files with Bio.Fasta, return
records (as Fasta.record class), iterate and so on. But then I am going
to Bio.Fasta.FastaAlign module which offers FastaAlignment (subclass of
Alignment class) class. However, this class has very limited methods and
get_all_seqs and get_seq_by_num return SeqRecord object instead of
Fasta.record (why??) what makes it hard to use Bio.Fasta.FastaAlign
(with SeqRecord) for alignments with Bio.Fasta (with Fasta.record) for
sequences. Maybe I am wrong but Biopython seems to be full of
incompatibilities. Or one should know which modules and classes should
not be used?

Could you recommend me what should I use for my work with fasta
sequences and alignments? Which BioPython modules and classes? Or should
I use other packages like CoreBio?

Thank you in advance for any guidelines,
Janek Kosinski