[BioPython] Biopython Citation

Leighton Pritchard lpritc at scri.ac.uk
Fri Feb 9 10:25:44 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 21:11 +0100, Sebastian Bassi wrote:
> On 2/8/07, Leighton Pritchard <lpritc at scri.ac.uk> wrote:
> > The discussion on who is going to write it might be more...
> > interesting... <cough> ;)
>
> I've been thinking in the same problem. I would like to collaborate on
> it. I could open a "Google doc" and then send you an invite so we
> could both write in the same online document, and add more people
> later if somebody is interested.
> Best,
> SB

I'd be very happy to collaborate on writing this sort of paper but, as
my own contributions to the code have been minuscule, I want to make
sure that the major contributors to, and developers of, the code base
are OK with that, and also that they take the lion's share of the
credit, regardless of how many words they put into the text.  I don't
want to be pushing myself forward at someone else's expense, taking
credit for work that I didn't do, or generating friction within the
community in arguments over who is, and who is not, named, and where
they are in the pecking order ;)

Michiel wrote:
> Currently, Biopython is undergoing some major improvements, for
> example
> with the Blast parser and especially with the new Bio.SeqIO. I expect
> that Biopython in two or three months will be a lot more transparent
> and
> user-friendly than it is now. It may be worthwhile to postpone
> submitting a Biopython paper until these improvements have made it
> into
> a Biopython release.
>
> Don't let that stop you from starting to write a paper, though :-).

With that in mind, I'd be glad to help in drawing up a framework for the
paper, and writing it, with a view to submitting after the next release,
possibly in May or June.  I've not used Google Docs before, but if you'd
like to set that up Sebastian, I'm interested to see how collaborative
writing works on it.

L.

--
Dr Leighton Pritchard AMRSC
D131, Plant Pathology, Scottish Crop Research Institute
W: http://bioinf.scri.ac.uk/lp     E: lpritc at scri.ac.uk
GPG: 0xE58BA41B <www.keyserver.net>

SCRI, Invergowrie, Dundee, DD2 5DA.
The Scottish Crop Research Institute is a charitable company limited by guarantee.
Registered in Scotland No: SC 29367.
Recognised by the Inland Revenue as a Scottish Charity No: SC 006662.

DISCLAIMER:

This email is from the Scottish Crop Research Institute, but the views
expressed by the sender are not necessarily the views of SCRI and its
subsidiaries.  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential
to the intended recipient at the e-mail address to which it has been
addressed.  It may not be disclosed or used by any other than that addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient you are requested to preserve this
confidentiality and you must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this
e-mail in any way. Please notify postmaster at scri.ac.uk quoting the
name of the sender and delete the email from your system.

Although SCRI has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are
present in this email, neither the Institute nor the sender accepts any
responsibility for any viruses, and it is your responsibility to scan the email
and the attachments (if any).