[BioPython] Adding new database types to EUtils

Luca Beltrame luca.beltrame at unimi.it
Tue Dec 4 13:49:36 UTC 2007

Il Tuesday 04 December 2007 14:35:13 hai scritto:

> release.  I have thought about making a python-based version, but I find R
> a much more compelling framework for statistical computing and array-based

I think it is mostly a matter of personal preference. I turned to Python (but
I have been using GEOquery in the past) because I like the language more than
R.

> Metadata (and not values), then URLs can be constructed against their web

I guess I did not make the statement clear enough in my original mail. Yes, I
meant to fetch only the metadata because I wanted to gather the experiment
descriptions from all the accessions I had (a rather large number) in order
to look through them without having to query for each one.
I will try looking at the queries via web and see if I can write something
useful (although I still think that, as basic as it is, it would be nice to
have EUtils GEO support in Bio.EUtils, at least for the metadata).

> I'm not sure that exactly the same functionality is available via Eutils,
> but I think not.

I have played a bit with EUtils, but I haven't yet been able to use esearch to
work with a GEO accession. Since I have just looked at them briefly, I can't
guarantee it was just a mistake on my part, though.

--
Luca Beltrame, MSc. - Molecular Medicine PhD Student
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Biomediche - UniMI