[BioPython] Biopython package for Fedora

Alex Lancaster alexl at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Apr 8 22:28:06 UTC 2007

CL> On 4/8/07, Alex Lancaster <alexl at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>> 2) The "python setup.py install" step appears to install a lot of
>> scripts with the "#!/usr/bin/env python" at the top into the main
>> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Bio/ namespace, e.g.:
>>
>> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Bio/GFF/GenericTools.py
>>
>> should these scripts be installed somewhere more appropriate such
>> as /usr/bin/GenericTools.py or do they also function as classes as
>> well as executables in their own right?

CL> The line #!/usr/bin/env python

CL> retrieves the appropriate Python installation as specified by the
CL> user's defined environment.

[...]

I'm aware of the function of the "/usr/bin/env python"
vs. "/usr/bin/python", that isn't the problem.  My question was about
the *location* of the script files when installed in
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Bio/* vs. being installed as
executables in /usr/bin/.

It seems that there are a number of files which contain both classes
and scripts and rpmlint identifies all files containing scripts which
aren't installed in a location like /usr/bin/ to make sure that
scripts aren't unintentionally installed in a non-executable location.

Alex