[BioPython] intalling on Windows, was: Re: can someone create biopython-1.42.win32-py2.5.exe

Ann Loraine aloraine at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 12:39:54 UTC 2006

Hi,

Along these lines, a question:

I helped a student install biopython on his Windows laptop this week.
However, we had a couple of problems getting BioPython to work
properly with cygwin's python: our attempts to import Bio packages
failed, I guess because they were not in cygwin's python's search
path.

(We were able to get the cygwin's python to find a custom module he
had written by setting PYTHONPATH properly, using Windows' Control
Panel, and then checking python's search path in sys.path.)

How would I tell python where to find the BioPython packages? Is there
a way to use PYTHONPATH environment variable to do this?

We will try this next time I meet with him, but any tips or advice you
might have would be great.

Sorry for the possibly dumb questions -- I am not very familiar with
how Windows does things.

Sincerely,

Ann Loraine