[BioPython] NCBIStandalone.iterator hangs

David Toomey dtoomey at rcsi.ie
Mon Oct 16 11:38:05 UTC 2006

Thanks for the help Peter

The attached file has the output from two queries, problem.txt and
works.txt, when run manually from the command line

I also edited the NCBIStandalone module to add a print statement to
Iterator.next() and then ran the same two files using the script.
If you compare the two reports for problem.txt you can see on which line of
the report the iterator is hanging. I have had a look at this and can't see
anything about the line that is unusual?

The last line outputted by the script is
Query: 266 LAAHIDQYDIDAMTGIRATDIEKTDEAIKVTLENGAVLESKTVIIATGAGWRKLNIPGEE 325

And the manual report continues with
               I    +          +       ++  +   VL
Sbjct: 68  GIMSIPTLILFKGGE-PVKQLIGYQPKEQLEAQLADVL-                      125

Even though problem.txt generates a valid report when run manually it does
output a load of errors of the type below, but I am not sure how this would
cause the script to stop at the line above.

[NULL_Caption] ERROR: ncbiapi [000.000]  AHPF_STAAC: SeqPortNew:
lcl|EXPT02286 s
top(365) >= len(329)
[NULL_Caption] ERROR: ncbiapi [000.000]  AHPF_STAAC: SeqPortNew:
lcl|EXPT02286 s
top(336) >= len(329)
[NULL_Caption] ERROR: ncbiapi [000.000]  AHPF_STAAC: SeqPortNew:
lcl|EXPT02286 s
tart(337) >= len(329)
[NULL_Caption] ERROR: ncbiapi [000.000]  AHPF_STAAC: SeqPortNew:
lcl|EXPT02286 s
tart(338) >= len(329)
[NULL_Caption] ERROR: ncbiapi [000.000]  AHPF_STAAC: SeqPortNew:
lcl|EXPT02113 s
tart(284) >= len(149)

If it is easier for you I can certainly raise a bug, I just wanted to be
sure it wasn't anything silly that I was doing before I did this.

Cheers,

Dave