[BioPython] Graphics similar to bioperl Bio::Graphics

Leighton Pritchard lpritc at scri.ac.uk
Thu Nov 30 10:09:05 UTC 2006

Hi Sean,

There isn't anything directly comparable to Bio::Graphics as far as I am
aware, but I think there are a couple of graphics packages in
BioPython.

I have written scripts, using the Python Imaging Library, to generate
graphical summaries of BLAST output similar to Bio::Graphics output, and
you're welcome to those, if you like (they are *very* ad hoc, though,
and I'm not proud of them).

Also, and possibly more suited to what you want, there is GenomeDiagram,
which uses BioPython and ReportLab to generate images of genome-scale
data.  You can find that at
http://bioinf.scri.ac.uk/lp/programs.html#genomediagram - I have plans
to change the structure significantly, and use a different backend for
browsing interactively (ATM you have to open up the images in something
like Acrobat Reader), but there's no motion on that, yet.  I wrote it
mostly because there wasn't a Bio::Graphics equivalent module.

As an aside, I'm happy to contribute the GenomeDiagram code to
BioPython, if people are interested.

L.

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 14:30 -0500, Sean Davis wrote:
> I have some data that I would like to display in a genome browser-type view.
> I've looked around and haven't found anything quite akin to Bio::Graphics
> (from Lincoln Stein) in python.  Does such a thing exist?  If not, what are
> folks using for graphics work?
>
> Thanks,
> Sean

Dr Leighton Pritchard AMRSC
D131, Plant Pathology, Scottish Crop Research Institute
W: http://bioinf.scri.ac.uk/lp     E: lpritc at scri.ac.uk
GPG: 0xE58BA41B <www.keyserver.net>

DISCLAIMER:

This email is from the Scottish Crop Research Institute, but the views
expressed by the sender are not necessarily the views of SCRI and its
subsidiaries.  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential
to the intended recipient at the e-mail address to which it has been
addressed.  It may not be disclosed or used by any other than that addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient you are requested to preserve this
confidentiality and you must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this
e-mail in any way. Please notify postmaster at scri.sari.ac.uk quoting the
name of the sender and delete the email from your system.

Although SCRI has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are
present in this email, neither the Institute nor the sender accepts any
responsibility for any viruses, and it is your responsibility to scan the email
and the attachments (if any).