[BioPython] biopython and dbSNP

Teemu Kuulasmaa Teemu.Kuulasmaa at uku.fi
Sat Mar 25 16:56:48 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am absolute beginner in python and biopython. I am trying to
familiarize myself with biopython. I have java background but I think
that python (and biopython) would be better tool to automate my daily
routines. Python seems to be superior language for quick (and sometimes
dirty) scripting compared to java. I would like to write some python
scripts that help me to work with SNPs and DNA/RNA sequences. I work
with SNPs daily basis.

However,I was disappointed because I didn't find any notice about dbSNP
from biopython documentation. At the beginnig I would like to be able to
retrieve some SNP records from NCBI's dbSNP and parse them. Is there any
ready made classes for that purpose? GenBank.search_for('id',
'database=xxx',...) function doesn't seem to support 'database=snp'
parameter.

To put it simple: Am I able to work with dbSNP by using biopython?

Best regards,

Teemu Kuulasmaa