[BioPython] parsing the blastoutput and printing the alingment

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Jun 15 12:25:06 UTC 2006

Muthuraman, Manickam wrote:
> Still i am getting the same error or error. I tried as Peter suggested but it fails.

I couldn't see anything clearly wrong just from reading your code.

Which version of BioPython do you have?

Since BioPython 1.41 NCBIWWW.qblast uses XML as the default output
format, but you can force this by:

result_handle=NCBIWWW.qblast('blastp','nr',f_record, format_type="XML")

Try opening your output file /home/manickam/my_blast.out in a text
editor to double check it really is XML - i.e. does it start <XML...>

If it is XML, then BioPython doesn't like it for some reason.  Maybe you
could email the file to me and Michiel to take a look?