[BioPython] BLAST XML problem?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 06:48:33 EST 2006

Iddo Friedberg wrote:
> Slight correction to my previous email: using biopython from CVS, and
> python 2.3 as you can see from the stack dump
>
> Iddo Friedberg wrote:
>
>> Not sure what we're doing wrong here...
>>
>> Using the cookbook example, biopython 1.41, python 2.2 (our Zope needs
>> that Python version, sorry):
>>
>> from Bio.Blast import NCBIXML
>>
>> b_parser = NCBIXML.BlastParser()
>> b_record = b_parser.parse(blast_out)
>>

>> Breaks on "Alejandro Schäefer",  in the XML <BlastOutput_reference>
>> tag. The ä seems to cause the error. Replace it with a regular "a"
>> everything is hunky-dory

Is the lower-case a with umlaut in the XML file as ä, or using an
encoding like &auml; or &#228; instead? (ampersand characters, aka
character entities)

Also, what character set does the blast_out XML file claim to be in?
And does that fit with the inclusion of an a-umlaut as a character?

It may be the NCBI's fault for producing a bad XML file...