[BioPython] E-utils on NCBI site

saccenti at cerm.unifi.it saccenti at cerm.unifi.it
Tue Jan 3 12:24:43 EST 2006

> 1. How do I use E-utils using python, bio-python
> modules. Are there any examples?

I do not know if Biopython has a E-utils module. I had to deal with E-utils
to jump from database code to another in NCBI databsae. I read instructions
in NCBI E-utils link then a I wrote my own consumer to open different web
pages and get different codes parsing the simple html code

> 2. here is the ......

My be you are able to get a complete list of all GEO files in NCBI databes.
When you have a list you can use standard commands of ftp module to
connect to the ncbi server and download what you want.
To filter human data maybe you must find a regularity in files name if
possible to discriminate human files.
Maybe inside the file there will be a flag. You can download all tar files
and then read them one after the other deleting non human file. Python has
has an util  to read into zipped files without have to open them before,
but I do not remeber if it works also with tar files.

Hope It can helps
edoardo

Maybe this is not elgant but should be fast to write