[BioPython] biopython gui

Indrajaya s203jay at mail.chem.itb.ac.id
Mon Feb 27 00:56:08 EST 2006

> On 2/21/06, Indrajaya <s203jay at mail.chem.itb.ac.id> wrote:
>> Hi, I'm Indrajaya. I'd to develop a nice biopython gui but I don't know
>> what the best toolkit to use for. Anybody guide me how do I start it?
>> Should I use pyGTK? pyQT? wxPython? pyFox? Or else?
>
> I guess you should choose the one that makes you feel better, I think
> that is a matter of personal preference. Like use KDE or Gnome. Each
> one has it advantages, but at the end of the day, everything you can
> do with one (toolkit/wm), you can do it with the other.
> Before choosing gui toolkit, I think you should be sure what do you
> want to do. I mean, biopython is a set of functions and methods, not a
> "command line stand alone program" where you would put a GUI on top. I
> am also thinking about GUIs for each function, like the module for
> Google Homepage I made based on Tm function. But even if I do it for
> all Biopython function, it won't be a nice solution because what is
> needed (IMHO) is something to link all the functions, as you do in
> code. There are some attemps to do that, like using flowchart like
> interface where you join functions, like a program. But never saw it
> in Biopyhon.

Ya, I believe it's not a nice solution to make gui for all function.
But I think, it is cool to make gui for blast or swissprot GUIs. Just for
simple thinking, to get information from genebank with some criteria (ie.
who posted the sequence, with fixed sequence length, etc), it
will show the result directly to user. Anyone have other idea?

>> Anybody seen another project hosted in
>> http://ftp.bioinformatics.org/pub/GUIBlast/?

Can you tell me, why do you use pythoncard as a framework for guiblast?